A fire watch is required by the law when your fire alarm and/or sprinkler systems stop working for a total of more than four hours in a 24-hour period. So if you want to avoid violations and hefty penalties, you need to hire certified fire watch security guards to keep your property and tenants or customers safe from fire hazards. Here’s what you need to know about fire watch costs and why it is more cost-effective to hire a certified fire watch guard.
Scout Security is a certified and insured fire watch company serving the Colorado Springs and Denver Metro areas. We offer premium fire watch security services to property managers and building owners who truly care about their businesses. Contact us now!
What to Expect on Fire Watch Service Costs
Fire watch service costs can vary widely, but the typical rate ranges from $35 to $50+ per hour for pre-scheduled services. Emergencies and more comprehensive fire watch security guard services can range from $50 to $200+ per hour.
Scout Security’s special security services, which include fire watch, range from $60 to $150 per hour.
Factors Affecting Fire Watch Costs
There are many factors that can affect the cost of a fire watch. But, the specific needs and complexity of your property are the major ones that contribute to the final cost.
These factors include the following:
- Your property’s location and size: Additional equipment and more fire watchers may be needed for large buildings.
- The type of your business: Buildings with laboratories and businesses dealing with combustible materials may cost more.
- The level of security and type of services needed: This will determine the scope of the fire watch in which you might need additional services aside from routine patrols.
- Whether the fire watch is pre-scheduled or due to an emergency situation
- The duration of the service: Fire watch services can be short-term or long-term depending on the reason for the fire watch.
- Number of fire watch security guards needed and their experience
- The type of fire watch security guards: Unarmed guards will cost less compared to armed guards.
You will need to pay higher during emergency situations.
Fire watch during emergencies will cost much higher due to urgent staffing and the needed resources. More fire watch personnel who are experienced in dealing with fire-related emergencies may also be required. The price can go up to $150 to $200+ per hour depending on the company you will hire.
NOTE: Fire Marshals will charge higher for fire watch guard staffing. It is better to hire a professional fire watch company to get lower rates at the same or even higher quality services.
Don’t wait for the fire marshal to require you to conduct a fire watch before you start hiring a fire watch personnel. Fire Marshals can charge you more than $200 per hour for using fire department personnel who they need to pay for working overtime in addition to hefty fines.
Why Hire Professional Fire Watch Services Instead of Doing It Yourself?
The NFPA and International Fire Code (IFC 2021) require the deployment of trained fire watch guards to ensure public safety. So although hiring private fire watch security guards will cost more than assigning one from your team, you will save more by avoiding violations and costly penalties.
Hiring professional fire watch security guards is the safest and most cost-effective option in keeping your property and customers safe.
In addition, professional fire watch guards are:
- Well-trained in fire hazard recognition, identification, and prevention as well as in fire safety and emergency procedures
- Licensed to perform fire watch services in compliance with local and state laws
Take note that your local jurisdiction may also have stricter guidelines regarding fire watches where noncompliance can result in business shutdowns.
Scout Security is a private security company consisting of former law enforcement officers and veterans to ensure that you get the highest level of security you need.
Property Managers & Building Owners Who May Need a Fire Watch
Businesses that may need fire watch services include the following:
- Construction sites
- Shopping malls
- Manufacturing & industrial facilities
- 9 Factors to Consider When Hiring Fire Watch Guard Services
- Things Every Property Manager Should Know About Fire Sprinkler Systems In Safeguarding Their Properties
- 6 Things Landlords Should Do After a Fire in a Rental Property
Typical fire watch service costs can range from $35 to $50+ per hour but can reach up to $150 to $200+ per hour depending on your property’s specific needs. The complexity of the building and scope of the fire watch can greatly affect the cost.
Fire watch guard duties and responsibilities include patrolling your property 24/7 to monitor fire hazards before they lead to serious problems as well as assist in emergency procedures. They also cooperate with your local fire department and other involved personnel in case of emergencies.
Fire watch requirements are found in the NFPA, OSHA, and IFC standards. When your fire protection system fails for more than 4 hours, you need to deploy trained fire watch personnel until your system is back to normal.
OSHA Standards for Welding, Cutting, and Brazing require a fire watch to be conducted when welding or cutting in areas where a fire might develop. This includes activities in areas where there are combustible materials within a 35-foot radius.
The best way to ensure that your property and business is protected from violations and significant damages including reputational damage is to hire certified fire watch guards. If you want to keep your business running, leaving such an important task to experienced professionals who are certified to conduct a fire watch properly is the wisest option.
Scout Security can respond to your emergency calls within an hour and deploy licensed fire watch guards on short notice. We can guarantee you that you will get what you pay for through our premium fire watch services. Reach out to us now!